Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (419 total)

Replanting the Guilford Green after the Hurricane of 1938. Facing the northwest corner, intersection of Whitifield and Broad Streets. From left to right: 15 Whitfield St., 1 Whitfield St., 76 Broad St., 88 Broad St.

This house was originally on Broad Street, on the site where the First Congregational Church now stands. Lot Benton and his wife, Catherine Lyman (of Middletown) had no children of their own but had adopted Mrs. Benton’s nephew, Lyman Beecher. …

The west side of the Guilford Green facing Whitfield St. after the Hurricane of 1938. The Atlantic and Pacific Tea Co. is 25 Whitfield Street, obscured behind the tree is 21 Whitfield Street, and the structure on the right is 17 Whitfield Street.

Looking north on Whitfield Street after the Hurricane of 1938. Southwest side of the Guilford Green.

Ward/Foote Home. 829 Goose Lane. General Andrew Ward, Revolutionary Ward hero, had a daughter, Roxana, who married Eli Foote. They had 10 children. When Eli died, Roxana and the children moved back to her parents’ home. The second oldest…

2785 Boston Post Road. Noah Fowler built this house for his son Miner who married Rachel Hall. The Fowlers had 6 children, 2 of whom were deaf. Sophia, born in 1798, her sister Parnel, and her cousin Ward were sent to Gallaudet School in…

Fitz-Greene Halleck House, 25 Water Street, Guilford. The poet was dubbed "the American Byron." He was born in Guilford July 8, 1790 and moved to New York City in May 1811 where he associated with the New York-based Knickerbocker Group. He lived…

Postcard of the Guilford Green, 1913. The lamp on the Green could be gas or electric. The first electric street lights were in 1898. Electricity was available on a 24-hour basis beginning about 1910. Telephone service began in 1882 but was…

Southwest entrance to the Guilford Green. Corner of Boston St. and Whitfield St. After the incorporation of the Borough of Guilford in 1815 the improvement of the Green began in earnest, with tree planting, animal restrictions, and walkways. It…

Guilford Green’s northeast corner, intersection of Broad and Park Streets. The first building on the left is George Walter’s Feed Store, which stood on what is now the site of the Guilford Free Library. Walter sold his business in 1913. The…