Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection

Advanced Search (Items only)

Guilford Green – Southwest Entrance

Details

Title

Guilford Green – Southwest Entrance

Description

Southwest entrance to the Guilford Green. Corner of Boston St. and Whitfield St. After the incorporation of the Borough of Guilford in 1815 the improvement of the Green began in earnest, with tree planting, animal restrictions, and walkways. It was officially named a “Publick Square” and on the 1868 Beers Atlas it is called a “Park,” a concept reinforced by naming the street bordering the east side “Park Street.” Further improvements came after the 1874 formation of the United Workers for Public Improvement, a group made up exclusively of women who had 80 lamps erected and paid a man to keep them lit. They gathered annually in the spring to rake the green, accompanied by ringing church bells and the firing of the cannon. The Civil War Monument was dedicated on Memorial Day, 1877.

Subject

Guilford Green (Guilford, Conn.)
Guilford (Conn.) -- Parks

Source

Edith B. Nettleton Historical Room Collection

Publisher

Guilford Free Library

Date

1888

Identifier

Call Number: 4e

Social Bookmarking