Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection

Advanced Search (Items only)

Benton / Beecher House

Details

Title

Benton / Beecher House

Description

This house was originally on Broad Street, on the site where the First Congregational Church now stands. Lot Benton and his wife, Catherine Lyman (of Middletown) had no children of their own but had adopted Mrs. Benton’s nephew, Lyman Beecher. Lyman Beecher came to this house on vacations from Yale, and it was in Guilford that he met his future wife, Roxana Ward. Their children included Harriet Beecher Stowe and Henry Ward Beecher. The house and land were left by Lot Benton to Lyman Beecher, who sold the land to the church in 1829 to facilitate the removal of the church from the town green. The house was moved by 35 yoke of oxen to its present location near the sluice dock, 485 Whitfield Street. The house was owned by Judge Harry Durant in 1921 when this photo was taken.

Subject

Architecture--Connecticut--Guilford
Beecher family
Benton family
Dwelling--Connecticut--Guilford
Guilford (Conn.)
Guilford (Conn.) Buildings, Structures, etc.

Creator

H. Rossiter Snyder

Source

Edith B. Nettleton Historical Room Collection

Publisher

Guilford Free Library

Date

1921

Identifier

Call Number: 2ab21

Rights

Digital image © Guilford Free Library. All rights reserved. Image may be used for personal research or educational uses without prior permission. For requests or exhibit, see Guilford Free Library.

Format

b/w photo, 4"x6"

Social Bookmarking