Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection

Advanced Search (Items only)

Browse Items (20 total)

Boston Street, with Shoreline and New Haven buses waiting for passengers. Photo is circa 1930 to 1945.

Looking across the Green to Park St, pre-1885.
Christ Church was organized in 1744 by Samuel Johnson, who went on to become first president of King’s College, now Columbia University. The first church was built in 1748 on the Green. In 1834…

Southwest entrance to the Guilford Green. Corner of Boston St. and Whitfield St. After the incorporation of the Borough of Guilford in 1815 the improvement of the Green began in earnest, with tree planting, animal restrictions, and walkways. It…

The South part of the Guilford Green is pictured after the post-hurricane clean-up had begun.

Guilford Green ca. 1820, Ink Sketch (12” ½ x 22”) by Charles Hubbard (1876-1951). Second meeting house (1712) of First Congregational Church is on the Green, with its burial ground and grazing cattle. The diagonal road for stage coaches…

Guilford Green’s northeast corner, intersection of Broad and Park Streets. The first building on the left is George Walter’s Feed Store, which stood on what is now the site of the Guilford Free Library. Walter sold his business in 1913. The…

Postcard of the Guilford Green, 1913. The lamp on the Green could be gas or electric. The first electric street lights were in 1898. Electricity was available on a 24-hour basis beginning about 1910. Telephone service began in 1882 but was…

Looking north on Whitfield Street after the Hurricane of 1938. Southwest side of the Guilford Green.

Looking north on Whitfield Street after the Hurricane of 1938. Southwest side of the Guilford Green.

Looking south toward Boston Street on the Guilford Green, circa 1930-1945. A bandstand is located north of the Civil War Monument.